The news that the Amazon rainforest is on fire has finally entered mainstream media, after far too long of a delay and it’s safe to say that people have been left feeling a little helpless. A lot of people, myself included, can easily feel overwhelmed by shocking news such as this. It’s understandable to feel as if the small steps we’re taking to change our lives aren’t making an effect, but it’s vitally important we remember humanity is good, kindness is the answer, ripples do make waves and all we need to do is continue to #showup. Here’s a few ways in which you can do so:
- As an emergency response, donate to frontline Amazon groups working to defend the forest, such as the Rainforest Alliance.
- Consider becoming a regular supporter of the Rainforest Alliance, whose work is bringing real, measurable benefits to forests, communities, and biodiversity around the world.
- Stay on top of this story by liking, commenting and sharing posts, articles and videos of the crisis.
- Consciously consume from companies with responsible supply chains, use recycled paper, reduce (or better yet eliminate) eating beef, stop buying products with palm oil and use public transport wherever possible.
- During an election support, rally and VOTE for leaders who understand the urgency of our climate crisis and are willing to impliment policies that will inspire change.